The building of the Bellevue theatre has been around on the Leidsekade since the 1840's, and has seen a lot of changes over the centuries.
Currently the complex consists of three different size stages which are used for a variety of theatrical performances. While the largest stage is mainly utilised for plays, music theatre, dance, puppet theatre, kids and youth theatre, the other two stages are used mainly for cabaret, lunchtime theatre shows and even informal talkshows.
There is also a café restaurant on the premises, named the Smoeshaan.
Originally the building housed two 19th century societies: Concordia which was exclusively for men, and Bellevue which was also accessible for women and children.
In the late 19th century the location was utilised mainly for political gatherings and society meetings. It wasn't until the beginning of the 20th century that the name Bellevue was restored and the focus shifted more to theatrical plays, but also balls, parties and society life in general.
In the late 1930's, after a big renovation, the Bellevue became a hotspot for large scale celebrations and parties and for a period the most famous and popular theater in Amsterdam.
In the sixties the theatre halls of the Bellevue were used mainly as television studios, and in the seventies the municipality reassigned the building to a local theatrical company after which it developed into the theatre complex it still is today.