The DeLaMar Theater is a large theater complex on the Marnixstraat. It is located near the Leidseplein in the center of Amsterdam. Performances held at the The DeLaMar are usually in the genres of cabaret, theater, musical theater or musicals.
The DeLaMar Theater has two theatre halls: the Wim Sonneveld Zaal, with a capacity of 950, and the Mary Dresselhuys Zaal with a capacity of 600. It also has a grand café and several foyers which can be rented for events.
The original DeLaMar theater was built up from the burnt out ruins of an old schoolbuilding just after the second world war, in 1947. Piet Grossauw was the architect of the restoration and also new owner of the building. He was also the husband of Fien de la Mar, who was an Amsterdam cabaret actress. They named the newly built theater after the recently deceased father of Fien de la Mar.
Theater De la Mar was not a big commercial success and closed in 1950. Two years later it was reopened as the Nieuwe DeLaMar Theater under the direction of famous Dutch cabaret actor Wim Sonneveld. Under this title the theater would persist until 2005, after which it was again completely renovated.
The current DeLaMar is considerably larger than the original DeLaMar. It was constructed by adding a neighbouring cinema during a thorough renovation that took five years to complete. The intention has been to keep the genres of performances and programming in the tradition of the preceding two DeLaMar theatres.