Museum Willet-Holthuysen is a fully furnished double-fronted canal-side mansion that is accessible to the general public as a permanent historical exhibition, managed by the Amsterdam-Museum. Museum Willet-Holthuysen is located on the Herengracht in the centre of Amsterdam, and can be visited all days of the week.
The house was constructed around the end of the Dutch Golden Age, in 1687. Many very wealthy families lived there over the course of the 18th and 19th centuries, and the museum strives to offer a lively impression of the affluence and culture of the former inhabitants of the building.
The last inhabitant, Sandrina Louisa Geertruyda Holthuysen, widow of art collector Abraham Willet, left the house and their rich art collection to the City of Amsterdam when she died in 1895. In accordance with her last wishes the building was opened as a museum a year later. The building has functioned as a museum ever since.
The museum permanently exhibits an impressive collection of antique decorative and fine art objects, and also has regularly changing thematic exhibitions on the first floor.