The Waalse Kerk is a monumental church located on the Oudezijds Achterburgwal in the centre of Amsterdam. The chapel dates back to the late 15th century, although alterations and additions to it have been constructed in later centuries.
Currently the Waalse Kerk functions both as a church (sermons are in French), and a stage for concerts and lectures on culture and history. The Waalse Kerk is well known for its excellent acoustics.
Originally the Waalse Kerk was a Roman-Catholic chapel associated with an adjacent monastery. After Amsterdam joined the protestant reformation in 1578, the Catholic chapel was confiscated and eventually assigned to the French speaking protestant refugee communities entering Amsterdam from the Southern Netherlands and France.
Over the following centuries the Waalse Kerk would remain one of several churches in Amsterdam catering mainly to French-speaking refugee minorities and their descendants, who were forced to flee from religious conflicts with catholic communities or rulers in French speaking territories.